Friday, May 15, 2009

dining chairs

I am a big fan of bentwood chairs, and I would love to have a set of 6 or 8 for my dining room someday. I fell in love because of these chairs from Pottery Barn, which I sadly discovered are no longer available. I would have loved to mix the 2 styles shown here (in mahogany color).


I've searched online for a good (affordable) alternative, and the best I've found is this chair from a restaurant supplier, kpeterson. I like them pretty well, but I don't want to buy something too flimsy, either. It's hard to buy blind from a place like this. The price is right...


I have also searched the classifieds and ebay, but it would be a miracle to find a full set in good condition. I'm surprised there aren't more good replicas out there, considering the popularity of this style. (I see them all over interior design blogs.) So... please think of me if you ever come across a set of these in good condition. You would be my BFF!

I also like this set from West Elm. They are a bit of an investment, like the Pottery Barn chairs, so most likely I'll put off buying anything until they are discontinued, like the Pottery Barn set. But what do you think of these?

My hangup on these is they are a little more modern looking. I love modern, but with a vintage/traditional twist. Also, I should mention I have a great little set of 5 antique bentwood chairs that came with a table we inherited from Tom's grandmother. They are a bit more rough looking than I'd like to use for my primary dining room chairs, but they would be great to add in when I need extras.

My ideal dining chair is smaller than most chairs you see in traditional furniture stores. I don't like how bulky many of them are. It is nice to be able to fit more chairs around/under your table.

Do tell me what you think of my choices!

8 comments:

Mike, Amanda, Dane, and Nora said...

Too bad about the Pottery Barn chairs- they are my favorite. I had seen them in a catalog a couple of years ago and eyed them longingly. I never got any, and it doesn't appear that I ever will. See you at Riverton in a month?

Joellyn said...

Amanda- Yep, we'll be there! It will be great to see you and your cute little kiddos (in real life :)

Benjamin Ranch said...

Jo, I hope you can still find the Pottery Barn ones, somehow. The middle one is nice, but doesn't look as substantial. The curved seats and backs are cool on the ones from West Elm, but they just don't have "the look" I don't think. Well, that's my 2cents or whatever its worth.

Joellyn said...

Yeah, Mom, I wish I could, but chances are probably slim. I definitely like them the best too. Bummer deal.

Traci K said...

Jo, We actually looked at those chairs at PB as we bought our table and chairs there about 6 months ago. You didn't miss out on much as although I liked them, they were very flimsy and with the boys I was pretty sure they wouldn't last long in this household. The quality reminded me of a wooden folding chair. We settled for the Amherst table (http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p7283/index.cfm?pkey=csquare%2Drectangular%2Dtables) in black (it comes with 2 leaves and is square and big enough to seat 4 w/o the leaves and 8 with the leaves in), and the Wynn chairs in black (http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p9223/index.cfm?pkey=cchairs). I can honestly say I LOVE these chairs. Mind you, they are VERY heavy duty, but I don't have to worry with company with kids that come over as they are holding up extremely well. Good luck in the search. I was there about 6 months ago and it was a challenge to find something we both could agree on. I also checked West Elm, but thought those chairs you had linked were too modern for the look I was trying to achieve.:)

Joellyn said...

Good to know, Tracy. I have never seen them in real life. The table and chairs you chose are gorgeous! My décor is a bit on the modern side. If I didn't already have a specific look in mind it sure would make my search easier. And my impractical eye seems to forget that form is not as important as function. :) ha. I'll have to post some of my inspiration photos as I run across them.

Kristi Figarelle-Lucero said...

I like the West Elm chairs. I don't think they are too modern. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool stuff, I saw this site with some useful info on Antique Dining Chairs. Hope it helps.