Saturday, September 19, 2009

needle felting

A few nights ago Abby asked me if we could do a craft together. So, I grudgingly agreed (yeah right) and this weekend we hit the fabric store. Inspired by a recent article in Martha Stewart Living (September 2009 issue—you can also see examples here, here and here) I decided we should try needle felting.

This decision set me back a bit money-wise because of the expense of the fabric and the new tools we needed, but it was fun. 100% wool works best, and I chose the fabrics above. The girls chose these:

These are the tools we needed: a mat that looks like a giant flat brush, and felting needles.

We cut our felt shapes out with the Sizzix Big Shot die-cutting machine from Stampin' Up!


We then used the felting needle to attach the flower. The friction from the needles moving rapidly up and down through the fabric melds the two layers together.

Here Abby is using one needle to attach the leaves.

After you finish with the needles, it looks like this:

And the reverse side looks like this:

You can use it either way. For Sarah, I liked the look of the more defined shape. But for the rest of our projects we used the soft fuzzy side, because that was the look inspired by Martha. Here is Abby's finished pillow:

And Sarah with her pillow:

And here are the pillows I created:

The felting was fun, but the Amy Butler fabric I used to back the pillows was my favorite part!

I used my motivation to sew up a couple of pillows out of this brown and blue raw silk fabric I've had sitting around for ages.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are talented, and I see your daughters are following in your footsteps. I'm quite impressed.

Betty

Benjamin Ranch said...

wow, your pictures look right out of a magazine! I've never really heard of that craft, much less tried it. I like all of your fabric selections. Good job, girls!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this post does look like it came from the pages of a magazine...have enjoyed your blog..and your awesome photography!
Thanks! Jennifer Hoversland-Fisher

Talk of the Town said...

Love it! I've been really wanting to do this too. I saw it at CHA a couple years ago and put it on the to do list in my head.

Lisa said...

Shut up! Those are awesome! What fabric store did you go to?

Joellyn said...

Material Girls, Lisa. Love that place!

Unknown said...

super cute - did they take long?

Kelli said...

You are so incredibly talented, I am impressed! I could not have done anything even resembling that in a lifetime of trying! And all of them are way more beautiful than anything you could buy!!!