Saturday, January 24, 2009

worthy alternative?

An online search unearthed these alternatives. I like them also and they are much more affordable, but is it worth the compromise? What do you think?

The DKNY dress above would be for Sarah, from Macy's.


This one would be for Abby, from Dillards. Actually, if I could get by with a 6X for Abby, I could get them both the same dress, but I'm not sure I want to do the match-y match-y thing. Bloggers are such great advice-givers... keep it coming! :)

As our friend Emily pointed out, they would be good for many more things (Easter, family pics, convention...) so if you divide by the number of wears then they aren't quite so pricey. :)

Another option: Today we found out Mom will be coming for a visit next weekend, and she said she would help me try to sew dresses like the ones from Chasing Fireflies (I spelled it right this time) in the previous post. Now I just need to decide how much our time is worth. It might be a pretty big project for a weekend!

6 comments:

Amy said...

They're all so cute!

It looks like the gray one from Chasing Fireflies would be relatively easy to make... so maybe if you could figure it out, you could just make it in 2 different fabrics? I love the bloomers, too :) So practical, and yet so adorable!

Liz said...

I love the red one! (and am glad I have a boy so I'm not faced with these dilemmas!)

Benjamin Ranch said...

You wouldn't go wrong with either of these two, too, but then, I'm still willing to hold up my end of the deal....looking forward to this weekend! I hope its warmer down there...we were at minus 18 this a.m.

Darin, Jean, Samson & Sydney said...

OOOOOH - so hard to choose. I LOVED EVERYTHING at Chasing Fireflies...YIKES the prices are nuts though.

I would probably try to make them if they aren't super time consuming and especially if you have your Mom's help. For me it depends if I have more time than $$ or more $$ than time at the moment.

With the twins it's usually a toss up:-).

Another option I've been employing is buying a simple item and embelishing it - that way you can get cost savings from the finished look you want and save a little bit of time by buying the foundational garment.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Joellyn,

I didn't know if you would see my other comment on one of your older posts from awhile ago. It was called "Another Project". So, I am commenting here as well.

I just wanted to say hi.

Paige's Parents said...

Buy all of them! They are all too cute to pass up!!!