Wednesday, June 3, 2009

a new project

Over 5 years ago, after Tom's sweet Grandma Elva had passed away, I typed up the amazing story she had written about her life, and then I sorted through the many albums she had (well-labeled, I might add) and matched appropriate photos to the story.

Here are a few pages from the album that resulted. I gave it to Tom's dad for his 50th birthday.




Since then, I've wished we could have a copy of the album for ourselves, so I borrowed it back and made scans of the pages. I plan to have a 12 x 12 digital book printed. The best part about that is others can get a copy if they want it. I've done a little research, and I'm leaning towards getting it printed with Shutterfly. But does anyone out there have experience with this or have any recommendations?

If this goes well, I plan to do a book for each year of our marriage. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like a beautiful book, Jo! I have friends at work who've made iPhoto books, and the ones I've seen are really beautiful. High-quality paper and printing, and pretty quick and easy to do.

Benjamin Ranch said...

How lovely if you can share this beautiful project with others of the family in this way. I've never done anything like this, but sure would enjoy seeing how yours turns out.

Traci K said...

What a great idea to document it all! My sister has printed albums off Snapfish and they turn out great, but I'm not sure about the scanning. I think hers are the ones she uploads off of her camera. Did you find your chairs yet? You might try Crate & Barrell too. They had some I liked there too.:) Wish I was closer so I could shop with ya'. I LOVE furniture shopping (it's the spending $ part I hate).:)

jen said...

You might have already printed the book, but I have had a great experience with Blurb.com. The book is GREAT quality and I have been really happy with it.

Joellyn said...

Thanks for all the book suggestions. I ruled out iPhoto because their formats were limited and I couldn't figure out how to do custom layouts. I ruled out Blurb because the reviews said they don't have the best customer service, and I didn't like having to pay extra to remove their logo. I did order the book today from Shutterfly, so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Traci, I would love to have a shopping buddy! No, I haven't bought any chairs yet. I'm not really any a big hurry to spend the money. I was just bummed i missed out on the PB chairs. I have checked Crate & Barrel online, but didn't really see anything. Wish we had a store here! :/ I'll just keep looking I guess and hope the right ones come along eventually. My current chairs are slowly falling apart.