Wednesday, June 24, 2009

pico de gallo recipe

A perfect compliment to pulled-pork tacos or great on its own: this pico recipe is most delicious freshly made and eaten promptly.

{ pico de gallo }

Ingredients

Makes 1 3/4 cups

  • 1 medium tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
  • 1/4 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/2 cup)
  • 2 small serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed if desired, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions

  1. Combine ingredients in a bowl. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
Note from me: I like to use on-the-vine tomatoes. They are a bit smaller so I used 2 instead of 1. The serrano peppers are excellent if you can tolerate the heat. (I removed all the seeds.) Although I haven't tried this, you should be able to tone it down by using jalepenos in place of serrano peppers. Use a plastic glove or bag over your hand when chopping the peppers as the heat and "burn" your fingers.

1 comment:

Benjamin Ranch said...

How did you ever get a taste for that much HEAT?? I'm definitely going to try the pulled pork tacos....mmmmm