Thursday, August 26, 2010

diaper update

Eva's new diapers arrived on Monday, so we have been trying them out for a couple of days.

I settled on these Bum Genius Elemental diapers. One-size (so we don't have to keep buying them as she grows), all-in-one (because you all advised that this was the handiest option—thanks!), and organic (not the reason I bought them, but a nice bonus.) For the most part, I like them. They are easy to use, and they clean well in my washing machine. I even like using the cloth wipes. Easy peasy.

They come in a lovely array of colors. (They look pretty cute all strung out on the line!) I'm afraid I'll need a few more than 12, however, if I go for this long term.

And, they are pretty stinkin' cute on my chubby baby, I have to say.

But, I have one (not-so-minor) complaint. I'm not sure Eva likes them. The last two nights she has woken up every 2-3 hours, which is no picnic after she has been consistently sleeping for 5-7 hours straight a night. She isn't napping as well during the day either. I'm thinking these don't whisk the moisture away as well as disposables and she might find them a little bulky/uncomfortable. Anyone else have this problem? I am going to try disposables tonight and see if it makes a difference. If it does, I'll trade off a few more times just to make sure that is what is causing her to wake up.

In any case, the jury is still out on whether or not this is the solution for us. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Emily, Bob, Etta & Mae said...

I never used the cloth diapers for naps or overnights. They DON'T keep moisture off the skin like disposables - one of the good things about them when it comes time for potty training. And Etta wouldn't necessarily wake up from being uncomfortable, but the ones I was using would leak *every where*. I wasn't a hard core cloth diaper person but tried to use them as much as possible. Every little bit helps, right?

Liz said...

I can't speak from my own experience, but friends of our who used cloth diapers didn't use them overnight, for the same reason mentioned above. And they were constantly changing diapers during the day - every single time their daughter peed at all - because the cloth diapers don't soak up the moisture and their daughter would get frequent diaper rashes. So you probably will need more than 12!!

emily said...

I haven't really noticed a problem overnight with mine, but my little guy isn't a heavy wetter. I know you can "double" them at night, but this might add to the bulky problem (plus as you've probably noticed already, they may make some of her clothes a little more snug. these designers just make seem to make room for slim/trim disposable diapers.) Maybe over time Eva will get use to them...but I'm also told that you do find yourself changing cloth diapers a little more than disposables anyway. which is true for me and little man.