Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Farmhouse Tour Part VII—the basement

(Note: These photos were taken before we moved in as the house was with my Grandpa's furniture still in it.)

^ This is the stairway landing, and on the wall are memorabilia from my Grandparents visits to Korea.


^ And on down into the basement. I remember the shelf at the bottom of the stairs being full of my Grandpa's Louis L'Amour westerns.


^ The basement fireplace. Notice the duck tape on the last staircase rung? That's because all the grandkids would fly down the stairs, grab onto the rail, and swing around to the floor. 'i guess it gave in eventually.

^ Check out this wallpaper!

^ The paneling in the basement is no more. My dad tore it off along with all the ceiling sheetrock so duct work could be added for the new heating system.

^ It's a daylight basement so this door leads out into the front yard. My parents held a family auction when they cleaned out the house so everyone in our large family would get a chance to keep things they liked from the house. I was able to acquire this houndstooth sofa. Sweet!

^ Many a ping-pong match were played in this room. I wish there were just a few more windows along the left wall to take advantage of the daylight basement, but its still nicely lit for a basement.

^ This back room is large but unfinished. It has no windows, but we are thinking it would make a great media/family room.

And finally, to finish the tour, I will show you the basement bedrooms and bathroom. Last stop! See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Kristi Figarelle-Lucero said...

This had to be one awesome house in its time! It has amazing potential.. can't wait to see what you guys make of it!

Emily, Bob, Etta & Mae said...

It really is a lot of house. Have fun!!

Unknown said...

This home is ginormous! How many sf? Love the couch.

Joellyn said...

I'm not sure of the square footage, but it has about the same number of rooms as our old house—just bigger rooms. I'd say at least 4000 (including basement.)

Jolene said...

I'm so jealous of the ping pong table! I've been trying to acquire a used one to put in our garage loft - with no luck. The orange stripe wallpaper - I definitely think you should consider keeping this! The houndstooth couch is fabulous, and I really like the sleek sectional too - just not in the bedroom. Make sure you use and love your woodstove!! They are so cozy! :)